Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August left for college today. . .

August- age 2, 1992

"We can't be everywhere. But God can. We can't see everything. But God can. We can't know everything, but God can. No matter what age our children are, releasing them into God's hands is a sign of our faith and trust in Him and is the first step toward making a difference in their lives. Prayer for our children begins there."-Stormie Omartian

Well, yesterday was another one of those "release" days. . .August, our youngest child, left for college . . .

Everyone else was gone from the house and it got really, really quiet. . really really quick. . . After seeing him off, I stood in the kitchen for a while and keep repeating to myself "Okay God, this is what we have raised them to do, isn't it?". . . .I think I saw God smiling. . .For the first time in 18 years, public school started without a Huckabee child starting with it. . . .although we do not have an "empty nest" yet, ( Brittany and Georgia are still living with us), I have not had to get a child up and going at 6:30am and out the door by 7:15 for the first time in a long, long time. . . .the routine has changed. . . and I know that deep down if I look inside myself, I know that that is a good thing. . .yes, I have had some long sighs, and I have been a little nostalgic lately. . .but I know this is what God intends for us to do with our children. . .love them, nurture them, train them in the way they should go, and then turn them loose to follow God's plan. . .and not ours. . .

It has been a wonderful long chapter in life. . .and I know that it is not completely over. . .we will still be needed to solve a crisis or two, and there will be lots of phone calls with all our children in the days ahead. . .but the day-to-day coaching phase of life with the kids is over. . . and all I can do is thank God for the wonderful years and boat load of memories we have to recall. . .

So my advice to all young moms out there. . .hug your children today, tell them about Jesus, live like Jesus. . .and know that when the day comes, and the last child walks out the door. . .you will survive. . .If I can, you can too! . .

August's Senior Night at the last Home football game- Fall 2008

Getting ready to walk out the door and drive off to Texas A&M University. . August 2009.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't read this without a few tears. We've been there too (sigh). I love Stormie's words of wisdom -- THAT is when my kids lives began to get with God's program -- when I learned that "releasing them to Him" thing. :) So proud of August -- what a great adventure he is embarking on.
    AND for Georgia and Jordan -- what a cute couple! When it's Right, you just know it's right. Love that! Congratulations !! Love you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW. Bonnie! You're making me tear up! I remember Austin at TGNB when he'd come up on Saturday mornings with Todd. Seeing his picture I'd know him anywhere. He looks so much the same but bigger. I didn't know he was in Irag. He is added to my many prayers for a safe return.
    I am so glad we have become 'FB friends'.
    And how funny that I read this post this morning on one of our last mornings before school starts Monday. My 4 are all over the place, leaving a trail of distruction in their wake. I will remember your words and learn to treasure this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie...thank you for sharing this. I have to say that I am a bit choked up. I can tell you that being blessed to observe your family and in many ways be a part of it, I have seen two faithful parents love their children through many seasons. I am so thankful for your example and know that many moms will be and are encouraged by you. You (through the grace and power of Jesus Christ) have loved and served your family greatly, but you have loved and served many others greatly too and for that I praise the Lord! I pray for your kids as they start their new seasons. I will pray for you and Todd as you begin your new season. And i pray for those that you will minister to and train with wisdom and experience and ultimately the hope you have in Christ. Praise be to God that He has allowed me to be a part of your family in teh family of Christ. I love you Huckabees!!!

    ReplyDelete