Saturday, April 25, 2009

60th Wedding Anniverdary



On Easter Weekend, April 12 2009, the entire Helwig family gathered to celebrate Bill and June's (bonnie's parents) 60th wedding anniversary on the Huckabee farm and various other places. . . It's actually kinda amazing. My parents have lived on that farm all of their married lives (except for 18 months in the 1950's--had to leave and find work because of the drought) and my dad has lived on the same place all his life. . .81 years. . .and the farm has been in our family since 1901. . .Here are some pics from the family- filled weekend. .




My Parents-- Bill and June Helwig, otherwise know as " Mimi and Pawpaw" .



The Entire Helwig Clan-- can't even remember the last time we were all together.




This is my brother Bill's family--kids, spouses, grandkids. . . everyone. .


Our family-- this is about 3 weeks before Austin leaves for Iraq for a year. Austin (24), his wife Brittany (21), August (18), and Georgia (21) .



West Texas Entertainment--shooting guns at metal targets. Jodee in action !



Georgia with Brandon and Erin's kids-- Faith and Ben. . . Easter was a lot more fun with them around!


Austin and Brittany just relaxing. . .



August and PawPaw



Chad and Heather's little boy Caleb. . .

It was a great weekend and we made lots of memories. . .


Having those kinds of roots can have advantages and disadvantages. . Yes, it's great to have a family and place to call home, but sometimes it can be turned into something that it shouldn't . . .One time, when I was struggling about selling our place on Helwig Road (where we lived for 12 years), I talked to Shawn Stoever, a Christian Psychologist and friend about selling my great-grandparent's house to an outsider (someone outside the family). . .and Shawn said "Anything that keeps you from making a wise financial decision is an idol". . ouch! So although I have enjoyed having "roots", I know that this world is not my home. . I am only passing through. . and as Jesus said "Who is my family? Those who do the will of my father. . . ."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post Bonnie. It is great seeing your whole family together again and I am blessed to have been/to be a part of your family. Love you guys and I am sure we will talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for Austin and Brittney. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete